Wednesday, November 23, 2011

I am having problems with my computer booting up. Any advice?

I have a toshiba infinia 7130 and it is like 5 7 yrs old. But it worked great. However, I was in the middle of a game and it crashed. I re-started the computer and received the following screen:





We apologize but windows did not start successfully. It give 4 options:





Safe mode


Safe mode with networking


Safe mode with command prompt


-and-


Start windows normally





I hit start windows normally and it continued, but a quick blue screen with error messages flashed, and it rebooted. It continues to do the same thing. It won't do safe mode. I unpluged everything, put another hard drive in, and went into CMOS setup. (hitting delete to enter setup key when starting computer)





I don't know what is happening? Anyone have an idea? Thanks.I am having problems with my computer booting up. Any advice?
It sounds like you have a serious software corruption or a hardware failure. You put another hard drive in, did you install an operating system (Windows, Linux) on that hard drive? If you didn't your computer won't boot because there is no OS. Do you have the Windows installation disk? Try doing a recovery on the original hard disk from that if you do.





Failing that you could try a Linux LiveCD to start your PC and try to fix the hard disk errors.I am having problems with my computer booting up. Any advice?
Did the new drive boot? Did you run a RAM test?





http://www.memtest.org/
You probably should have gone into the safe mode at the start, and backed up all of your files. 20/20 hindsight, for what it is and is not worth.





You installed a new hard drive, which is a good start for troubleshooting. However, what are the errors that show up? Did you reinstall the Operating System? Or did you just ';ghost'; everything over to the new drive?





If it is not a software problem, I would guess that there may be a problem with the motherboard.
What message does it give you when you attempt safe mode? That will help to give a proper diagnosis. Most of the time when this happens it is a problem with a file in the XP operating system getting corrupted. You can use an XP boot disk to get to a command prompt, and attempt a 'chkdsk /f', or you can use the same disk to repair a corrupted windows installation.

No comments:

Post a Comment